PDA

View Full Version : Skipper

Commander
07-Jan-2011, 06:13 PM
One of the parks officers from NParks shot this skipper recently. The markings appear to be that of an Oriens sp, but the colour contrast is something strange. Anyone has any views as to what it is? C&P4 doesn't show the undersides of all the skippers but perhaps some of you have come across other books that feature more pictures.

Psyche
07-Jan-2011, 09:24 PM
This is Oriens paragola

It is very distinctive as the key states: Underside hindwing dark brown with the orange-yellow band sharply defined ,& not edged with black spots.

The other two O. gola & O. goloides always have orangey underside hindwings, with the band edged with obscure black markings.

O. paragola is also a skipper of secondary growth areas and should not be unexpected in Singapore.

(See C&P4's Plate 59 / fig 10 Un )

TL Seow:cheers:

horace2264
08-Jan-2011, 12:41 AM
Wow, this would be a new discovery for SG as C&P4 does not record it as being extant in SG. :gbounce: I wonder why it isn't as common as O. gola?

Commander
08-Jan-2011, 10:15 AM
Looks like it. :redbounce

Must ask the NParks officer where she shot it and send our BC hit squad to go hunt it down! :bsmile:

Cruiser
08-Jan-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi Seow, please take a look at this one (http://butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4711&highlight=Oriens) and comment on the possibe ID.

Thanks in advance,

Psyche
08-Jan-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi Seow, please take a look at this one (http://butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4711&highlight=Oriens) and comment on the possibe ID.

Thanks in advance,

Yup. There is no mistaking it. It is a worn Oriens paragola, and you shot it in 2007. Wonders never cease.:jumjoy:

TL Seow:cheers:

Commander
08-Jan-2011, 03:24 PM
Ben Jin was this one of those that you passed me a worn out specimen some time back? :thinking:

Ah... ok. Found it. Labelled 27 Oct 2007. Congrats! Now we have species #297 for the Singapore Checklist, thanks to the latest shot of a pristine specimen to confirm it, and also Seow's guidance. :cheers:

horace2264
08-Jan-2011, 05:08 PM
Ben Jin was this one of those that you passed me a worn out specimen some time back? :thinking:

Ah... ok. Found it. Labelled 27 Oct 2007. Congrats! Now we have species #297 for the Singapore Checklist, thanks to the latest shot of a pristine specimen to confirm it, and also Seow's guidance. :cheers:
Great, another confirmed +1 to the SG checklist just into the 2nd week of 2011. :gbounce::jumjoy::redbounce

Congrats to Ben Jin for making the first discovery of this species in SG. :cheers:

Leopard Lacewing
08-Jan-2011, 05:44 PM
Congratulation for the new discovery! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Commander
08-Jan-2011, 06:35 PM
Here you go... the comparison of the two shots of Oriens paragola with an Oriens gola. Ben Jin's earlier worn-out specimen left an element of doubt initially, because of the lightened dark brown underside.

Psyche
08-Jan-2011, 07:13 PM
Oh-oh! Its a good thing you brought those pics for comparison, Khew. Those dark smudges along the outer edges of the band, and the shape of the band itself, indicates that Ben Jin's specimen is still O. gola.

After making that quikie ID, I did have a doubt on a closer longer look, but did not want to be forever making correction that I may yet change again.

However, there is no doubt to the authenticity of O. paragola in the recent shot.

Sorry, Ben Jin. ( Hmm., I seem to be saying this to you most often )

TL Seow:cheers: ;P :embrass:

Commander
08-Jan-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Seow. It's always difficult to judge with these lookalikes, that's why without a voucher specimen, I tend to keep them on the UFO folder, just to err on the safe side.

But the recent shot by the NParks staff shows the very distinctive characteristic of O. paragola as you pointed out.

Now to get more definitive shots of it or even better a voucher specimen. But even with this shot, I would be inclined to say that we do have an O. paragola in Singapore now. :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
09-Jan-2011, 08:43 AM
I have no doubt that the specimen in post 1 is O. paragola, as Seow has said.

On a personal note, STOP FINDING NEW SPECIES IN SINGAPORE!!!!!, you are catching me up:grin2: .

Commander
09-Jan-2011, 09:24 AM
On a personal note, STOP FINDING NEW SPECIES IN SINGAPORE!!!!!, you are catching me up:grin2: .

:bsmile: :bsmile: :bsmile:

Silverstreak
09-Jan-2011, 09:26 AM
:bsmile: :bsmile:

:blah:

Silverstreak
09-Jan-2011, 08:10 PM
Now to get more definitive shots of it or even better a voucher specimen. But even with this shot, I would be inclined to say that we do have an O. paragola in Singapore now. :cheers:

Khew ,

Your wish has been granted by Butterfly Fairy!!!

I literally walked in, found him, took a few shots and then it poured dogs and cats.

Check here:

+1 on #297 (http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?p=98786#post98786)

Cruiser
10-Jan-2011, 01:25 AM

No, that was a diff. one :)