PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hasora species please

Painted Jezebel
18-Apr-2011, 08:33 PM
I came across this male Hasora sp. today, and I can not identify it. It appears to be an old, worn specimen, but the hindwing bar appears quite distinctive. My only idea is that it could be the hitherto undiscovered male of H. mavis (just hoping!). Any help or pointers would be most gratefully received.

1) The unidentified male
2) Confirmed female H. mavis

Psyche
19-Apr-2011, 02:22 AM
Les, looks like you've struck gold.

I have checked Yutaka's website. There is no other Hasora with the distinctive broad white band in S.E. Asia. It is H. mavis male.

Congrats.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TLSeow:cheers:

WillFolsom
19-Apr-2011, 07:21 AM
Always fun to be the one to record something new! You must be very pleased!
William

Painted Jezebel
19-Apr-2011, 08:05 AM
Les, looks like you've struck gold.

I have checked Yutaka's website. There is no other Hasora with the distinctive broad white band in S.E. Asia. It is H. mavis male.

Congrats.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TLSeow:cheers:

Thanks very much, Seow:redbounce . I did not really want to get my hopes up too high, but I could not see what else it could have been.

Unfortunately, there is now something else I will have to do!

Yes, William, I am extremely pleased.

Psyche
20-Apr-2011, 02:05 AM
I did some double-checking because the white band is narrower than that of the confirmed female.

A wornout Bibasis sena? Nope. Even if the tornal cilia is lost, the legs will still be orange.

I have a shock when I saw there are examples of H. vitta with a rather broad white band almost as broad as this. However, the outer margin of the white band of H. vitta is very diffuse,& importantly, there is always a hyaline spot in space 6 on the forewing.

So, the ID is still A-OK.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
20-Apr-2011, 08:51 AM
Seow, thank you so much for the additional checks. You have allayed my fears that it was Bibasis sena, though that, in itself would have been great, as it would have been a new species for Samui. However, a male H. mavis is much more important.

Psyche
20-Apr-2011, 09:53 PM
I was looking for pics of H. mavis, and lo and behold, they were all your shots posted on the Maleang webboard.

This fieldshot of the female is misleading as it makes the white band appeared very broad ( although Fleming's pic have a specimen with very broad band).

After seeing those pics with the band in the correct perspective I have no doubt you have a male H. mavis.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
21-Apr-2011, 09:46 AM
I was looking for pics of H. mavis, and lo and behold, they were all your shots posted on the Maleang webboard.

Yes, they will be. As far as I know, I am the only person who has managed to get a photograph of this species. I do regularly post on the Malaeng site.

Commander
21-Apr-2011, 10:14 AM
From a collector's viewpoint, this is almost as exciting as discovering a new species! So congratulations are in order. :cheers:

I hope you were able to get a voucher specimen for dissection eventually and write a paper about it. I'm sure researchers would benefit from the info, as you may now have a proper record of the elusive male of this species.

bluefin
21-Apr-2011, 05:05 PM
Congrats, Les. :cheers: :cheers:

MrGee
23-Apr-2011, 01:25 PM
Well done, Les! I'm sure you won't mind the extra work on this one!