PDA

View Full Version : Telicota sp

Commander
02-Jan-2012, 10:56 AM
A pity that the other one, which is presumably the male, didn't open the upperside when I took this shot. The pair snapped shut and I could only shoot the undersides after this.

Looks like T. colon to me, if the open wing one is a female, with the upperside forewing post-discal spots outwardly strongly concave? The undersides are too heavily dusted to rule out T. augias?

Psyche
02-Jan-2012, 11:09 AM
It is Potanthus trachala. right-male, left-female.
Diffuse dark spottings & strongly concave outer margins of the spots including the subapical spots.

TL Seow:cheers:

Commander
02-Jan-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Seow. Forgot about the shape of the forewing for male/female.

What intrigued me was the size of these two. Both are close to Telicota sized specimens.

Commander
02-Jan-2012, 11:28 AM
Another P. trachala? This one is more the typical Potanthus sized specimen. The flower of the Snakeweed gives a bit of scale.

Psyche
02-Jan-2012, 12:01 PM
There is variability in the concavity of the spots in Potanthus.
I also thought your other Potanthus in the other thread might be trachala at first, as the underside is very similar. Most trachala seen here doesn't have the 2 spots in space 4 & 5 quite detached from the subapical group.

This one have the veins darkened across all the spots including the 3 subapical spots, so it is P. omaha.

TL Seow:cheers: