PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Name of Butterflies

CERULEAN
18-Nov-2014, 12:15 AM
I am new comer. Re butt's common name, it would be different from case to case. The only way is to use the scientific name.

However, I really found it quite difficult to remember the scientific name as I am quite confused by the naming rule.

For example, in Hong Kong, under the genus of Pelopidas, there are Pelopidas agna, Pelopidas mathias, Pelopidas, Pelopidas assamensis, Pelopidas conjunctus, and Polytremis lubricans. But why the last one is not named Pelopidas but Polytremis?

Your clarification is highly appreciated.

Many thanks~!

Great Mormon
18-Nov-2014, 11:47 AM
Hi Cerulean,

Hope this helps http://zoolstud.sinica.edu.tw/Journals/45.3/322.pdf

Evans (1949) synonymized baibarana with Polytremis lubricans (Herrich-Schaffer, 1869) but Shirôzu (1960) continued to consider it a distinct species [as Pelopidas baibarana]. The type of Parnara baibarana agrees with the female of the current concept of Pelopidas agna (Moore, [1866]) as listed by Chiba et al. (1992) (confirmed synonymy).

I'm no expert in this field, but I would suppose that there some differences between the 2...

Psyche
18-Nov-2014, 04:11 PM
In general when taxonomists study these groups of butterflies they find differences that necessitate creating new genera.
Previously, many were placed in Baoris.

Different genera usually meant there should be structural differences to justify these.
Structural differences include venation (the way the veins run) antenna,legs, palpi, secondary sexual characters, & genitalia.

In this case there are differences in venation, leg (mid-tibia not spined in Polytremis) & genitalia.

The adults are also distinctive in that Pelopidas has a central hindwing spot not seen in Polytremis.

Scientists are not always in agreement in change in taxonomy, which is why a butterfly may sometimes appear under more than one genera.

As an example Bevan's Swift as Pseudoborbo bevani which some feel could be left as Borbo bevani.
It looks just as similar to its 'cousin' the Formosan Swift, Borbo cinnara.

TL Seow : Cheers.

CERULEAN
18-Nov-2014, 05:49 PM
thanks~! have general idea how butts are named.