PDA

View Full Version : Host plant problem

pslane
23-Jul-2018, 01:21 AM
Hello,
I am on my second bath of Black Swallowtail caterpillars and I have so many this time, I am worried about running out of food. My caterpillars are eating bronze fennel and also some small Dill plants that I went out an bought.

The problem is that the sprigs that I am bringing in for them are wilting too soon. I place them in a small neck wine bottle and always keep the water level at the very top. But it seems like they are getting wilted and brittle right away. At this rate I will never have enough to make it. If the sprigs would just last a few days I might have enough but they are not.

Is there something I could put in the water to help keep these food sources fresher and lasting longer? Are there any other alternative plants that I might have that they would adapt to? I have some parsley but have never tried it and never seen eggs on it. Anybody used parsley for Black swallowtails? Suggestions?

Thank you

atronox
23-Jul-2018, 01:49 AM
Hi, i'm not too familiar with Nearctic species, but P. polyxenes according to various sources is known to utilise many Apiaceae, including parsley. In fact, all the spp. in the machaon group, including polyxenes feed on such plants so it's definitely worth a try

pslane
23-Jul-2018, 10:23 AM
Well if I run completely out, my parsley is my only hope of keeping them alive and growing. Seems like my Mother or Grandmother use to add something to the water in a vase of flowers to help keep them fresh longer. Maybe I should check with a florist.
Thank you for your reply.

atronox
24-Jul-2018, 01:34 AM
Well if I run completely out, my parsley is my only hope of keeping them alive and growing. Seems like my Mother or Grandmother use to add something to the water in a vase of flowers to help keep them fresh longer. Maybe I should check with a florist.
Thank you for your reply.

I heard that glucose(dextrose) is sometimes added but i've never tried it