PDA

View Full Version : How to Know if a Butt is gonna lay eggs?

Silverstreak
05-Oct-2005, 11:35 PM
Today encountered the 7th Malayan Plum Judy ( a female) at KRP.

She was just like the first Mama Judy I shot , hopping from plant to plant , seldom stopping for more than 3 seconds. :sweat:

I was rather excited as I thought she was gonna lay eggs .... but after closely followed her for 20 minutes , nah :-( she was'nt gonna lay any eggs!! She was just hoping from leaf to leaf flirting around , more like she is looking for food or a mate . :-(

I must have look rather weird to passerbys and joggers in the park, bending over with camera barely 6 inches from the ground, following "something" that was hopping from plants to plants . :cool: :blah:

Eventually she decided she had enough of me following her, and took off into the tree line . :angry:

By the way, Does anyone here with infor on what Malay Plum Judy feed on and its host plant for this butt?

:cheers:

Commander
06-Oct-2005, 09:47 AM
That's the usual habit of the butterflies of the Riodininae subfamily. Flit here, flit there with half open wings, and turn around here and there... Not the easiest of butts to shoot, when it is 'active', and you need good DOF cos the wings are not usually closed flat, plus the fact that they remain in shaded areas as well. :sweat:

The species in this group are :

Abisara geza niya
Abisara saturata kausambioides (Malayan Plum Judy)
Abisara savitri savitri (Tailed Judy)
Taxila haquinus haquinus (Harlequin - so far seen in Tekong only)
Laxita thuisto thuisto (Lesser Harlequin)
As for the host plant of this species, you can find out more in Igarashi's books, Vol I (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~EY4Y-TKNM/igarashi/igarashi-cont.html) and Vol II (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~EY4Y-TKNM/igarashi/asia2-cont.html), for all the species already bred and usually with known host plants.

Silverstreak
06-Oct-2005, 10:59 AM
Khew ,

Thanks ! Will look into it.

:cheers:

Common Mime
06-Oct-2005, 11:07 AM
And call me if you happens to see one laying eggs ;-)