PDA

View Full Version : Monarch Butterflies in New Zealand

Ian Mc
10-Mar-2006, 07:47 PM
Monarch Butterflies were introduced to Christchurch by a lady from down south in Dunedin.In winter they gather on trees in various city parks.
It always amuses me to see them being chased by smaller butterflies like cabbage whites and yellow admirals.
Sorry no pix as no digital yet.
Cheers:Ian Mc:cheers:

Commander
11-Mar-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi Ian,

Welcome to Butterfly Circle. Is the Monarch called by the same name in NZ? I recall that the Australians called it the Wanderer.

Do show us some of the butterfly species in New Zealand, and share some of your experiences on butterfly watching over there. :)

Ian Mc
12-Mar-2006, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome.Unfortunately no pix at this time as still considering buying a digital camera.Yes we do call them Monarch Butterflies over here and many children (and adults) grow swan plants for the butterflies to lay their eggs on.Quite impressive caterpillars.Don't see many butterflies around here except cabbage whites,yellow admirals and the far less common red admirals.:)
Best Wishes:Ian Mc

Elbowed Pierrot
12-Mar-2006, 10:23 AM
Welcome Ian, hope we get to see your post really soon :P

The Monarch
12-Mar-2006, 02:22 PM
Commander: Didn't you one say that there are only a handful of species of butterflies in New Zealand? The number was something like 14 or 20+?

Commander
12-Mar-2006, 04:12 PM
Commander: Didn't you one say that there are only a handful of species of butterflies in New Zealand? The number was something like 14 or 20+?

Yup...just under two dozen species - 23 species to be exact. Based on this site (http://www.newzealandbutterflies.org.nz/NZ_Butterflies/NZ_Butterflies.html), but 11 are endemic species (i.e. only found in NZ), whilst the others can be found in neighbouring countries.

This is the New Zealand Butterfly Checklist (http://www.newzealandbutterflies.org.nz/NZ_Butterflies/NZButterflyfamilies.html). All the species are within three families. An interesting point to note is that NZ does not have any Papilionidae species, i.e. no swallowtails and birdwings, and neither does it have any Hesperiidae species - no Skippers! :thinking: