PDA

View Full Version : Is this Sumatran Gem?

Cruiser
14-Aug-2006, 11:45 PM
Two record shots of a S. gem look alike. Is this Sumatran Gem? Though worn out but the markings seem quite diff. from the s Gem :thinking:

Elbowed Pierrot
15-Aug-2006, 09:50 AM
perhaps its the Poritia philota philota? or maybe just too faded?

Commander
15-Aug-2006, 10:18 AM
The undersides of both species are very similar, although the female of P. philota is more greyish. Unless you saw the upperside of the butt when it flew off, it's difficult to separate the two species.

Silverstreak
15-Aug-2006, 01:37 PM
Snap shots of Ben Jin and CP's shots as compare to yutaka and asahi's archives.

1. CP's shot can be fairly easily varified as sumatrae

2. Ben Jin's shot there are very prominent differences in hindwing markings as compare to CP's.

Unfortunately Ben Jin's gem is not in pristine condition and the marking in the forewing are rather faded.

In CP&4 there is no underwing specimen of the sumatrae and the philota fig is really small and taxing to the eyes to compare with Ben JIn's shot.

We need better specimen pics in the checklist.......

:cheers:

Commander
15-Aug-2006, 03:26 PM
We need weather like today's pea soup to make Sunny do good and *serious* research work. :bsmile:

Cruiser
15-Aug-2006, 11:16 PM
thx Sunny for the comparison and it looks closer to P. philota. too bad the pics were not well taken.

Khew - the upperside was blue but I didn't see the whole pattern, so don't think this help to ID it.

Silverstreak
15-Aug-2006, 11:47 PM
BJ,

Comparing with the additional references provided by khew I think good chance that it is a philota.

The truth is out there.... go chase it !:bsmile: :bsmile:

:cheers:

Commander
16-Aug-2006, 12:11 AM
Khew - the upperside was blue but I didn't see the whole pattern, so don't think this help to ID it.

The Sumatran Gem has a solid green upperside, whilst P. philota is streaked with green patches, almost like the Simiskina that we shot at Bunker Trail.

Comparing with the additional references provided by khew I think good chance that it is a philota.

The truth is out there.... go chase it !:bsmile: :bsmile:

Yes, particularly the location. Look at where 3 out of the 4 were taken, and the chances are high. :)

Sky Blue
16-Aug-2006, 10:49 AM
bring me there, I can chk out their babies as well ;-)