PDA

View Full Version : Score Sheet

Silverstreak
02-Sep-2006, 12:09 AM
It has been exactly one year since I took up butt shooting with this post (http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1508186#post1508186) at CS.

After being directed here by Simon I din even realised I was bitten by the butt flu till months later ....:bsmile:

Was trying hard to attain 220 out of the 273 recorded species but the weather has been rather unkind for butts since National Day.:sweat:

Just audited and my score sheet for the year are as follows:

TOTAL 218 out of the 273 recorded species captured AS OF 9th Aug 2006, with 2 additional species to be confirmed.;-)

Sky Blue
02-Sep-2006, 12:26 AM
Well done Sunny !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Commander
02-Sep-2006, 01:25 AM
Heh heh... you've shown that it can be done if you keep at it. :cheers:

The rest of the species will depend quite a lot more on luck now. At the rate you go out almost 4-5 times a week, you have statistically more ground covered and more chances to nail them. :) So keep at it.

Peacock Royal
02-Sep-2006, 09:43 PM
Congrats Sunny. :cheers:
Must work harder otherwise some of us will catch up :bsmile:

stingrey
03-Sep-2006, 04:54 AM
Very well done and congrats.

Silverstreak
04-Sep-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks khew ,SC, Federick and Ray,

The rest of the species will depend quite a lot more on luck now. At the rate you go out almost 4-5 times a week, you have statistically more ground covered and more chances to nail them. So keep at it.

Statistically speaking once past 150 species the basic odds of having a Plus one on a an outing is less than 50% at 200, at 220..26% and 19% at 250 , adding in the odds of rarity of specis, location , time of the day/year , frequency of shoot, the overall odds can be as high as striking 4 Ds ....:bsmile: but just like 4 Ds if u dun buy a mumber your odds/luck is NIL.. fullstop.

The reality check here is : during the year with the frequency that I hit the trails I have yet to see the other 55 specis (except Black Rajah sighted not caputed). Some specis might very well be extinct whilest others we have no photos in the checklist, hence making IDing them a very tedious process ...... it is highly probable tat we have happily archived them as UFOs and still looking for them!:bsmile:

Must work harder otherwise some of us will catch up

It is meaningless to compare number of species captured between ourselves, due to the frequency that we shoot. After the first 3 months when I reached 150 species , I told some in private that I had stopped posting "Plus one", and that was the day I started my personal race against the checklist...... the unltimate target, so to speak. And if in the process I overtake anyone in number of specis captured it will be purely coincidental and becos they were static.;P

When I hit 200 my personal aim was to improve on the percentage of keepers each time I squeeze the trigger....

Even if one captured all 273 specis, the strive will continue on the quality of shots, the excitment of discovery/rediscovery of new specis and most of all the joy of meeting such beautiful creatures again and again....... I guess these are what kept Khew going after all these years.:bsmile:

:cheers:

Peacock Royal
04-Sep-2006, 03:09 PM
Ha, ha, just want to spur you on to hunt more when I said that.

Totally agree with you that it is meaningless in the race of getting the pluses.
The thrills of discovering something new or getting a "perfect" shot or capturing a rare moment dirve most of us to shoot.