PDA

View Full Version : Is this really a LBSL

horace2264
16-Oct-2006, 08:28 AM
Caught a shot (poor shot, cropped) of this LBSL the other day which is a bit different from the other LBSL I shot. The marking at the base of the forewing area indicates that it is a LBSL, but the marking in the upper forewing is different from the typical Spindasis Lohita's with the clear divergence of the two stripes (the 2nd and 3rd silverline from the top). Is this a just a minor variation?

Horace

Commander
16-Oct-2006, 08:39 AM
Yes it is. The markings as you pointed out, are variable and can be conjoined or separate. Not a distinct ID characteristic of this species. But keep training your keen eyes on making such observations. It will come in useful when spotting differences in other species. :)

horace2264
16-Oct-2006, 10:32 AM
Yes it is. The markings as you pointed out, are variable and can be conjoined or separate. Not a distinct ID characteristic of this species. But keep training your keen eyes on making such observations. It will come in useful when spotting differences in other species. :)

Thank you Khew for the clarification. I will record the ID as LSBL.

I just look through the C&P4's plate 38 on the various Spindasis species with L-shaped streaks, and it shows the two markings conjoined for S. lohita senama and S. seliga, but separated for S. kutu. The description on p.264 is not very clear about this difference besides saying "....In addition to the differences listed in the key, the blue gloss ...."., but it did say the S. seliga and S. kutu are seldom seen below 2,500 feet.

Horace