PDA

View Full Version : What is attacking the NBGY pair?

horace2264
04-Nov-2006, 01:33 AM
While browsing through shots of a mating pair of No-Brand Grass Yellow, I realized there was some insect griping on the eyes of one of the pair. Anyone know what this insect is?

Horace

Common Mime
04-Nov-2006, 08:57 AM
Horace,

I think it was the crab spider that got the poor female. :(

horace2264
04-Nov-2006, 03:45 PM
Horace,

I think it was the crab spider that got the poor female. :(

Thanks Chee Ming for the spider ID. I think I unknowingly rescued the female butt when I shook the stem to force the pair to fly to a nearby spot for better composition.

Horace

Elbowed Pierrot
04-Nov-2006, 04:40 PM
you shouldn't disrupt the cycle of life

Silverstreak
04-Nov-2006, 04:49 PM
Okie !

If I see a Tiger stalking Simon from behind I will tiam tiam!!:bsmile:

Common Mime
04-Nov-2006, 04:56 PM
Different case lah.

I kinda agree with Simon on this issue.

BTW, I think Butterfly Circle recognises Small Grass Yellow as the common name for Eurema brigitta senna?

I think we need to standardise it at least within this Circle.

Silverstreak
04-Nov-2006, 05:04 PM
Different case lah.

I kinda agree with Simon on this issue.

BTW, I think Butterfly Circle recognises Small Grass Yellow as the common name for Eurema brigitta senna?

I think we need to standardise it at least within this Circle.

I thought we have agreed on the common name of No Brand Grass Yellow( NBGY)!

Khew , correct?

Common Mime
04-Nov-2006, 05:10 PM
Alright! I think it's just me that got confused... :embrass:

http://www.b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4453

Elbowed Pierrot
04-Nov-2006, 07:45 PM
Okie !

If I see a Tiger stalking Simon from behind I will tiam tiam!!:bsmile:

:blah:

horace2264
04-Nov-2006, 10:11 PM
you shouldn't disrupt the cycle of life

May be it was not clear from my first post: I was only aware of the presence of the 3rd party when going thru the shots on my computer screen long after the incident. My ``rescue'' of the butt was not intentional. Anyway I am not too sure whether the female butt was still alive after that incident as the male butt could be doing the flying work.

Horace

Commander
04-Nov-2006, 10:26 PM
Usually, a single bite from the crab spider would be fatal to the prey. I've seen them grab and bite something as big as a Cruiser, and kill it in an instant. The female Grass Yellow was probably dead and the male doesn't even know it.

Commander
04-Nov-2006, 10:28 PM
I thought we have agreed on the common name of No Brand Grass Yellow( NBGY)!

Khew , correct?

I was hoping for a slightly more elegant name for this re-discovery though. However, I must agree that it definitely cannot be called Small Grass Yellow, cos that distinction must surely go to the species Eurema ada iona which we have yet to re-discover in Singapore.

Unless there are other suggestions, No Brand Grass Yellow it is... :cheers:

Common Mime
05-Nov-2006, 12:53 AM
However, I must agree that it definitely cannot be called Small Grass Yellow, cos that distinction must surely go to the species Eurema ada iona which we have yet to re-discover in Singapore.
I have seen a real small Grass Yellow today at Punggol which has a smaller size than a Gram Blue.

Khew says a NBGY is about the size of a Cycad Blue but I kind of disagree because the NBGY is definitely bigger than a Cyacd Blue which has a similiar size of a Gram Blue.

I think I will need to reccee that place again tomorrow...

Commander
05-Nov-2006, 01:12 AM
The problem with just assuming that the small size = Small Grass Yellow is wrong. The other species' sizes are variable, and I've collected specimens of Common Grass Yellow, Eurema andersonii and so on which are far smaller than they should be.

I said that the specimens of NBGY from Johor, Malaysia are the size of a Cycad Blue, not in general. Pls don't misquote me. ;P

To positively ID Eurema ada iona, you will have to study C&P4 carefully. Yes, one of the characteristics is the very small size, but don't assume that every small Grass Yellow you see is one of this species.

Commander
05-Nov-2006, 01:22 AM
For CM to read carefully (http://b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4448) what I wrote in an earlier thread : ;P

"Confirmation specimens will be sent to FRIM in Malaysia to confirm the status of this species, which could also possibly be a unique subspecies of E. brigitta found here. Those specimens of E. brigitta found in Malaysia are known to be not as large as those that have been observed here, suggesting that it could also be a different sub-species."