PDA

View Full Version : Strange Bush Brown Mating Pair

horace2264
17-Nov-2006, 11:13 PM
Caught this mating pair of bush browns in the wasteland at the same spot the TSLB was last seen. When I reviewed the shot, I was amazed to see that the two bush browns do not have the same ocelli patterns on the forewings.

Do the two sexes of this species of bush brown have different ocelli patterns on the forewing?

Horace

Commander
17-Nov-2006, 11:29 PM
The Bush Browns' ocelli on the wings are rather variable, and it's not easy to ID them with certainty in the field. A lot more observations would be needed to see the variations across the different species and whether these characteristics can reliably be used to ID and separate the various species.

horace2264
17-Nov-2006, 11:39 PM
The Bush Browns' ocelli on the wings are rather variable, and it's not easy to ID them with certainty in the field. A lot more observations would be needed to see the variations across the different species and whether these characteristics can reliably be used to ID and separate the various species.

I suppose from the mating pair shot, we could be certain butts with these two different ocelli pattern on the forewing belong to the same species? Or do the different species cross-breed as well?

Horace

Commander
17-Nov-2006, 11:42 PM
For them to mate, they are usually of the same species. In your shot, the one on the left is the female. I suppose in the evolutionary process, there could be some cross-breeding, but it's highly unlikely in this case.

horace2264
17-Nov-2006, 11:58 PM
For them to mate, they are usually of the same species. In your shot, the one on the left is the female. I suppose in the evolutionary process, there could be some cross-breeding, but it's highly unlikely in this case.

Thanks Khew on clearing my doubt about the mating pair. Very glad to have learnt something about the variations of bush browns.

Horace