PDA

View Full Version : Which Delias

Sky Blue
22-Oct-2007, 09:58 PM
Anyone want to try to ID this Delias, not from Singapore :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/rama-rama/malacca/DSCF5266-700.jpg

Commander
22-Oct-2007, 10:40 PM
Sure looks more like an Appias sp. than a Delias to me... ;P I'm sure our resident Delias expert would be able to shed some light on this butt.

Strangely, if I recall the uppersides of these species correctly, this is a male Chocolate Albatross. :thinking:

atronox
22-Oct-2007, 11:20 PM
I also thought that it was a chocolate alb. bt the sunlight passing through the wings seems to show a differently coloured underside.

Painted Jezebel
23-Oct-2007, 07:25 AM
This does not appear to be a Delias sp. The forewing shape is similar to a few of that genus but none have those particular black apical and marginal markings. It certainly seems more like an Appias sp, as SK says.

Where was the specimen shot? I ask this just in case there is any small possibility of it being a variation or even aberration.

Incedentally, C&P4 has a rather obvious (to me) error in its narrative for this genus. It says that there are 'seventy or so known species'. As at todays date, there are 254 described species!

Sky Blue
24-Oct-2007, 11:14 PM
Sorry, you guys are good :thumbsup:
should be an Appias sp., I got mixed with the below shots :embrass:

Commander
24-Oct-2007, 11:37 PM
Heh... can't fool us there. ;P

The 2nd shot(s) are of the Red Spot Sawtooth (Prioneris philonome themana) and it's not a Delias either. ;-)

atronox
24-Oct-2007, 11:46 PM
The 2nd shot(s) are of the Red Spot Sawtooth (Prioneris philonome themana) Y is it called a sawtooth?:hmmm:

Sky Blue
25-Oct-2007, 12:18 AM
oh, learnt something new. I didn't aware that the Red Spot Sawtooth is not a Delias until you pointed out :)