PDA

View Full Version : AHBT - 29 Jan 2008 - Grass Demon

Cigaritis wong
30-Jan-2008, 01:59 AM
Went to AHBT for the 1st time. Saw a lot of leopard, common rose and common mormon. Also sighted a great mormon. Quite a number of leopard lacewings can also be found there, hope they can flourish there.

Sky Blue
30-Jan-2008, 08:35 AM
Wong, I find the cropping for Grass Demon a bit too tight, but they're really sharp.

hmm, Leopard lacewings at AH? Another human made +1 for them I guess.

Cigaritis wong
30-Jan-2008, 08:42 AM
Yes, noted. Just trying to show more details with the small pixel size.

Silverstreak
30-Jan-2008, 10:28 AM
The Leopard Lacewing spotted at AHBT are part of my personal projects in propagating both the Leopard Lacewing and Tawny Coster species to the south east of the island .

So far 100 Leopard Lacewing have been released at KRP and TBHP where the hostplant have been planted during the last year. The Tawny Coster has been self propagating at TBHP foothill and Pandan Reservoir since last year with the introduction of the initial batch.

A total of 20+ Leopard Lacewing was released at AHBT last Sunday after the Passiflora foetida had been successfully planted at the butterfly trail and elsewhere in AH in the last 9 months. The first batch of caterpillars released in mid 2007 did not make it.

Just like the Common Rose and the Common Birdwing which were "introduced" into AHBT, I hope this species will likewise flourish in AH and the south east of the Island.

Elbowed Pierrot
27th Jan - Macro outing at Alexandra Hospital
Thanks for the extra subjects brought in by Sunny, I can finally put the leopard lacewing back into my list

Leopard Lacewing
30-Jan-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks Sunny for the great effort in "planting" more butts and make it more happening at AHBT. :thumbsup:

Good work! 3-cheers to Sunny!

Cheers!

Commander
30-Jan-2008, 01:13 PM
Just like the Common Rose and the Common Birdwing which were "introduced" into AHBT, I hope this species will likewise flourish in AH and the south east of the Island.

Just a bit of clarification, incase we are corrected by the "other side"... The Common Rose and Birdwing were not "introduced" to AH. The planting of Aristolochia tagala brought them in naturally from wherever they already occur.

They were helped only in so far that we took the cats out of the wild and breed them in captivity. This reduced their mortality rate due to parasitism and/or predation.

m00nman26
30-Jan-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the effort Sunny! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pray hard that the LLs will flourish in AHBT :cheers:

Common Mime
30-Jan-2008, 11:53 PM
I saw the worker clearing those Passiflora at AH during my last visit to AH in Dec. The Passiflora seems to claw on other plants and the worker tends to keep the trail tidy. You may want to highlight this to Roseline.

If the female LL finds that there are too little host plant around, she might not lay her eggs there, imo.

Cigaritis wong
30-Jan-2008, 11:58 PM
Isn't AHBT going to be transferred else where, where and how soon?

Commander
31-Jan-2008, 12:19 AM
Isn't AHBT going to be transferred else where, where and how soon?

AH is expected to remain till around 2014. It was originally supposed to shut down after AH moves to Yishun to occupy the new Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. But in anticipation of overcrowding at NUH and SGH after AH moves, the Ministry intends to keep AH open as a temporary facility.

So the trail is likely to be given a longer "lease of life" till then. :)

Cigaritis wong
31-Jan-2008, 12:55 AM
oic...6 yrs is a long long time :)