PDA

View Full Version : Butt heaven - Malaysia

Glorious Begum
03-May-2008, 11:16 PM
We have found these butts in the area not more than 2 football fields. Not trying to promote Malaysia, haha.. But it is a lot more than what I can find in a day in KL.

Thus I called it butt heaven.

I have filtered out those crows, tigers and many more common butts.

Is this White dragontail ? Hope I got it correct. Saw about 10 of them puddling near the river bank.

Bassarona dunya dunya

Bassarona dunya dunya

Prosotas aluta nanda - Hope I am right.

Glorious Begum
03-May-2008, 11:21 PM
Rhinopalpa polynice eudoxia(Wizard) - female

Rhinopalpa polynice eudoxia(Wizard) - male

Rohana parisatis siamensis - female

Rohana parisatis siamensis - male upperside

Rohana parisatis siamensis - male underside

Thauria aliris pseudaliris (Jungle King)

Glorious Begum
03-May-2008, 11:28 PM
Chersonesia rahria rahria

Bassarona teuta rayana

Cepora iudith malaya

Amblypodia sp. Not sure which one until I got the upperside shot. Anyone can help ?

Cyrestis themire themire

Junonia iphita horsfieldi(Chocolate Soldier)

Glorious Begum
03-May-2008, 11:34 PM
Lexias dirtea merguia

Papilio helenus helenus

Libythea myrrha hecura

and lastly Papilio palinurus palinurus

Hope CM comes bring back more for you guys. :cheers:

henrykoh
04-May-2008, 12:00 AM
wow really butt heaven

wasabi8888
04-May-2008, 12:16 AM
let's organize a trip up leh

Painted Jezebel
04-May-2008, 09:22 AM
Wow, LC. You managed to get a large number of the butts I had hoped to show you whilst you were on Samui.

I think you are right about the Lamproptera curius (White Dragontail). The problem with distinguishing this and the Green Dragontail (Lamproptera meges), is that the pale green of L. meges fades in time until it appears white. The main distinguishing factor is the white scent hairs in L. curius, which are usualy covered by the fold, and therefore not seen in photos of live specimens.

Your Amblypodia species appears to be a male A. anita anita, from the markings (not a foolproof way to ID). Size and the expanse of blue colouration in the female are the easiest ways to tell A. anita from A. narada. (Still looking for the latter here!)

You have a couple here that I have not seen before, Prosotas aluta nanda and Libythea myrrha hecura.

Your photo of the Thauria aliris is simply magnificent, the best I've seen of this very difficult butt to photo.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Interesting photo of the male Rohana parisatis. You photo shows brown tips to the wings. None of the specimens I've seen have this, the uppersides are entirely black.

I have thoroughtly enjoyed looking at this series!:gbounce:

Peacock Royal
04-May-2008, 10:13 AM
My eyes drop. :what: :what:
Wow, must visit the place.
Well done, LC. Thanks for sharing.

Glorious Begum
04-May-2008, 10:31 AM
wow really butt heaven

thanks, I have to go back again and again I guess. :bsmile:

let's organize a trip up leh

Yes, CM is going to organize a trip there soon.

Wow, LC. You managed to get a large number of the butts I had hoped to show you whilst you were on Samui.

I think you are right about the Lamproptera curius (White Dragontail). The problem with distinguishing this and the Green Dragontail (Lamproptera meges), is that the pale green of L. meges fades in time until it appears white. The main distinguishing factor is the white scent hairs in L. curius, which are usualy covered by the fold, and therefore not seen in photos of live specimens.

Your Amblypodia species appears to be a male A. anita anita, from the markings (not a foolproof way to ID). Size and the expanse of blue colouration in the female are the easiest ways to tell A. anita from A. narada. (Still looking for the latter here!)

You have a couple here that I have not seen before, Prosotas aluta nanda and Libythea myrrha hecura.

Your photo of the Thauria aliris is simply magnificent, the best I've seen of this very difficult butt to photo.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Interesting photo of the male Rohana parisatis. You photo shows brown tips to the wings. None of the specimens I've seen have this, the uppersides are entirely black.

I have thoroughtly enjoyed looking at this series!:gbounce:

Thanks Les. About the Rahana parisatis, I guess the brown tips could be due to the flash that I used. In fact it looks black. :cheers:

My eyes drop. :what: :what:
Wow, must visit the place.
Well done, LC. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, please come. CM is going there again soon.

Besides, you can see the world biggest flower there too if you are lucky, the Rafflesia flower. :cheers:

Sky Blue
04-May-2008, 11:21 AM
Wah, so many butt !!! Thanks for sharing, really enjoy looking at them (many of them for the 1st time).

CM, CM, where are you? :bsmile:

Peacock Royal
04-May-2008, 11:23 AM
CM, if you are going there again in June. Count me in.
Ya, waiting to see your pictures.

m00nman26
04-May-2008, 11:42 AM
Count me in too ;P

Sky Blue
04-May-2008, 11:57 AM
LC, for Bassarona dunya dunya, how to tell the male / female?

OT a bit, why not we post up our name here (http://b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=66300#post66300)to see who might be interested.

Glorious Begum
04-May-2008, 12:07 PM
Wah, so many butt !!! Thanks for sharing, really enjoy looking at them (many of them for the 1st time).

CM, CM, where are you? :bsmile:

Thanks SC. Guess he is on his way back to SG.

LC, for Bassarona dunya dunya, how to tell the male / female?

Ahem... according to book. :bsmile: Female is larger and darker in colors. Do correct me if I am wrong. :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
04-May-2008, 12:43 PM
Er, which book? Can't see it in C&P4, and whilst the illustrations in Pisuth's book seem to illustrate it, those on Inayoshi's website do not. Unfortunately, Pinratana only shows a male. From my experience, the only way to be sure is to examine the abdomen.

Glorious Begum
04-May-2008, 01:21 PM
Er, which book? Can't see it in C&P4, and whilst the illustrations in Pisuth's book seem to illustrate it, those on Inayoshi's website do not. Unfortunately, Pinratana only shows a male. From my experience, the only way to be sure is to examine the abdomen.

My apology if I had confused you guys. I was refering to Pisuth's book as the female is darker and larger. That is what I saw and shot.

I will change it. Thanks.

Sky Blue
04-May-2008, 01:25 PM
Don't need to apology, we all here to learn :)

Painted Jezebel
04-May-2008, 01:37 PM
LC, with species where sexual dimorphism is practically non-existant, I find the safest thing to do is not to state male or female. Only if I know the sex, either through close up observation of the abdomen, or having seen certain behaviour, like egg laying, will I do so. In the case of B. dunya, I would very much like to see the latter, as the early stages of this species are currently unrecorded, I believe.

atronox
04-May-2008, 03:16 PM
Ur helenus has rather few red lunules. At first i thought it was an iswaroides. Which part of malaysia is this?

Common Mime
04-May-2008, 04:15 PM
Your photo of the Thauria aliris is simply magnificent, the best I've seen of this very difficult butt to photo.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I think LC is going to prove you wrong at this. :bsmile:

Glorious Begum
04-May-2008, 04:20 PM
I think LC is going to prove you wrong at this. :bsmile:

haha... not so loud my friend. :bsmile: :bsmile:

Leopard Lacewing
04-May-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow! Swee leh! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You are making us jealous :bsmile:

Cheers!

blurboiboi
04-May-2008, 09:28 PM
wow, great shots, great series... i am drooling already... at the same time my right index finger is itchy liaoz, need to fire my shutter already.... which part of Malaysia u shot them in worz??.. i wanna go!!!!!

Cruiser
04-May-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for sharing so many nice butts, especially the Dragontail, hope to shoot it again.

Glorious Begum
04-May-2008, 11:19 PM
Ur helenus has rather few red lunules. At first i thought it was an iswaroides. Which part of malaysia is this?

Ah... keep as a secret first. Hope you could join us one day to butt heaven.

Wow! Swee leh! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You are making us jealous :bsmile:

Cheers!

haha.. you too. Hope to see you here in Malaysia butt heaven.

wow, great shots, great series... i am drooling already... at the same time my right index finger is itchy liaoz, need to fire my shutter already.... which part of Malaysia u shot them in worz??.. i wanna go!!!!!

You have put your name in butt heaven trip. You will know soon. :bsmile:

Thanks for sharing so many nice butts, especially the Dragontail, hope to shoot it again.

You are welcome. Need to find Green dragontail too. I thought Green dragon is more commmon than white dragon tail.

atronox
05-May-2008, 01:29 AM
Ah... keep as a secret first. Hope you could join us one day to butt heaven.

Hmm... i understand why ur so secretive. I'll probably join u when i'm older and when i get my new cam.;)

Matthew
07-May-2008, 05:01 PM
wow...bring me there.. >.<