PDA

View Full Version : Another 4-Line Blue waiting for an ID

horace2264
11-Jun-2008, 08:55 PM
As I was making my way out of CCA, I was surprised by a 4-line blue which flew in front of me and perched itself on a nearby leaf. I was struck by the greyish brown underside, diffuse marginal markings, and the two V's.

What do you think the species ID could be?

Commander
12-Jun-2008, 12:26 AM
Throw in a similar one taken in the western catchment some time back. Sunny, I believe you also shot this one. It was near the spot where we spent some time with a tame Hypolycaena thecloides thecloides.

Les, wanna offer an opinion?

Painted Jezebel
12-Jun-2008, 09:38 AM
I suspect, and it can only be a suspicion, is that it is Nacaduba pavana singapura. The spaces between the post-discal bands appear lighter than the ground colour, though my eyes, at this early hour, could be deceiving me! If they are, then N. pactolus odon would be the most likely candidate. Would need to see upperside to be sure.

I have long felt that you are sadly lacking in the Fourline department in Singapore (whereas I am lacking in the Sixline one)!

horace2264
12-Jun-2008, 12:14 PM
I suspect, and it can only be a suspicion, is that it is Nacaduba pavana singapura. The spaces between the post-discal bands appear lighter than the ground colour, though my eyes, at this early hour, could be deceiving me! If they are, then N. pactolus odon would be the most likely candidate. Would need to see upperside to be sure.

I have long felt that you are sadly lacking in the Fourline department in Singapore (whereas I am lacking in the Sixline one)!

Unlikely to be N. pavana as we have frequent encounters with this smaller species in its favorite habitat (also mentioned in C&P4) at coastal mangrove wetland in Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve. I bred N. pavana too in this thread (http://b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6271&highlight=pavana). Post #2 there shows pics of adults in which you can see the very distinct and well contrasted striae in the wing marginal area on the underside. The butt I met yesterday was a much larger specimen, the largest of 4-line blues I have seen so far, and there were very broad and diffuse striae which caught my eyes.