PDA

View Full Version : Which Lascar?

horace2264
16-Sep-2008, 02:15 AM
Shot this Lascar sometimes in June, and initially identified it as Malayan Lascar. But now I have my doubt. What do you think?

atronox
16-Sep-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes, it's a malayan lascar (i think!). U cn tell by the orange forewing submarginal spots.

This one only has a single orange band, so perak lascar is out.

The spots are large and separate, so this isn't a commmon lascar(thin orange band).

Between burmese and malayan, this is closer to malayan as one of the orange submarginal spots r larger than the rest, while they r roughly the same size in burmese.

That's my conclusion. Bt i do hope it's something new of course!

Commander
16-Sep-2008, 09:59 AM
A picture paints a thousand words. I concur with what Aaron is trying to say, and from the ID Key in C&P4, my view is that this is still a Lasippa tiga.

In my own experience, I only have a single specimen of Lasippa heliodore dorelia, taken in 1998 at Nee Soon Pipeline.

Due to the very lookalike nature of these "Lascars", without an extensive study of captured specimens, it is not easy to ID them in the field, and we photographers only know too well that these buggers are really hard to shoot, as they are very skittish and alert, and will make their way to the treetops very quickly if disturbed.

henrykoh
16-Sep-2008, 11:58 AM
Forgive my ignorance, so this is a lasippa tiga?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/henry_koh2000/DSC03679.jpg

Commander
16-Sep-2008, 01:23 PM
Forgive my ignorance, so this is a lasippa tiga?

Yes, quite definitely. :)

horace2264
16-Sep-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks, Aaron and Khew for the detailed explanations and illustrations. Much appreciated. :)

My original doubt lied with the relative size of the submarginal spot in space 3 with respect to those in spaces 2 and 4. Even LC's Lassipa helidore shot shows a relatively larger spot in space 3, and the same is true of Pisuth's plates of this species. Some of the Lassipa tiga shots in this forum show a much larger spot in space 3 compared to those in spaces 2 and 4. :thinking:

Sky Blue
16-Sep-2008, 11:11 PM
Good discussion, I learnt from it as well.

Well done Aaron ! :thumbsup:

Common Mime
17-Sep-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks Aaron, and Khew for the detailed information. :thumbsup: :)
A picture paints a thousand words. I concur with what Aaron is trying to say, and from the ID Key in C&P4, my view is that this is still a Lasippa tiga.

In my own experience, I only have a single specimen of Lasippa heliodore dorelia, taken in 1998 at Nee Soon Pipeline.

Due to the very lookalike nature of these "Lascars", without an extensive study of captured specimens, it is not easy to ID them in the field, and we photographers only know too well that these buggers are really hard to shoot, as they are very skittish and alert, and will make their way to the treetops very quickly if disturbed.

Yes, it's a malayan lascar (i think!). U cn tell by the orange forewing submarginal spots.

This one only has a single orange band, so perak lascar is out.

The spots are large and separate, so this isn't a commmon lascar(thin orange band).

Between burmese and malayan, this is closer to malayan as one of the orange submarginal spots r larger than the rest, while they r roughly the same size in burmese.

That's my conclusion. Bt i do hope it's something new of course!