PDA

View Full Version : Sunny, Fed and 2 +1s

Painted Jezebel
10-Oct-2008, 09:18 AM
Met up with a couple of members yesterday.

The Scarce Silverstreak (Iraota rochana boswelliana) was around in some numbers, and at last I saw and shot the beautiful male, shame it would not allow me to get the upperside. Interestingly, the hindwing markings are more like the female than is shown, both in SK's photo and in the books.

The Peacock Royal (Tajuria cippus cippus) has been much less common this year, and this was the first opportunity I have had in 2008 to get the female.

A couple of +1s, photowise:
The Common Castor (Ariadne merione ginosa)

also a female Green Baron or White-Banded Red Baron depending where you live (Euthalia adonia beata). This is a different ssp. from what you have in Singapore, and only really reaches into Malaysia in the Langkawi Islands and Kedah.

Could be my last posting for a while, the rains have arrived and am getting the Canoe out!

Commander
10-Oct-2008, 09:44 AM
I see that the Samui butts are also partial to the Melastoma fruits. We get numbers of them when the plants fruit like that over here too.

Happy canoeing! :bsmile:

Silverstreak
10-Oct-2008, 11:36 AM
Les,

Congratulations for shooting Fred and me!

I am quite rare to encounter down here, so far I only saw myself on 3 occasions and managed a shot twice.I am always up high when the " pu-ying" are low on the hostplant busy feeding and ovipositing.

The marking of what you captured is similar to what I shot , but the color of my counterpart in KS is darker ...... maybe due to too much Mekong whisky and Tom Yam!:bsmile:

Here is my recent self-portraits from Sunny's Plain at this thread... (http://butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7238&highlight=scared+silverstreak)

Cheers!

Painted Jezebel
10-Oct-2008, 12:01 PM
The Silverstreaks up here are darker. I think that this is not unusual with several species of island butts.

Great Mormon
10-Oct-2008, 03:23 PM
nice shots les!

Painted Jezebel
04-Aug-2014, 08:42 AM
Resurrecting this old thread because the name of one of the photos has been changed!

Kotaro Saito has named a new subspecies of Iraota rochana for the specimens found on Koh Samui only, and called it I. rochana masashimaruyamai (bit of a mouthful!). This is based on the forewing cell streak is broader than in ssp. boswelliana, and on the hindwing, the marginal and post-marginal areas are silvery and more extensive. Publication - Butterflies (Teinopalpus) No. 64 (2013).

Personally, I am not sure about the cell streak, but certainly the hindwings of ALL my photos and specimens show the hindwing feature as mentioned. In the earlier comments above, certain differences in colouration were noted between the specimens from Singapore and Samui.

He also resurrected the ssp. I. rochana pandara for the specimen from the Thai Mainland and Vietnam. I wonder how long it will be before they are synonymised with boswelliana again!

Antonio, I can not remember, have you come across the species on KPN? If so can you post a photo so I can check that it is also the 'new' ssp.

Angiud
04-Aug-2014, 05:56 PM
Never found in KPG, and still never seen in the rest of Thailand and Malaysia :embrass:

Psyche
04-Aug-2014, 08:16 PM
This looks like a good subspecies. Very dark.
The HW subtornal pale area is certainly wider than in typical boswelliana from Malaya & Singapore.
It is also silvery grey rather than greyish brown.
Not sure about the width of the FW white streak.

The continental form also looks good for another subspecies.
It is darker than typical boswelliana.
The HW subtornal pale area is irregularly narrowed upwards the apex.
The upperside FW blue is much darkened & reduced.
http://yutaka.it-n.jp/lyc4/82780020.html

The upperside of typical boswelliana.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--nk858PV9ic/Tv3ayH7_dZI/AAAAAAAAGx8/Y-ZjAGNF6Os/s1600/ScarceSilverstreak-Sunny07.jpg
ssp. from Brunei
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraota_rochana#mediaviewer/File:IraotaRochanaMaleCompositeAC1.jpg

Does the Samui form has the upperside of that from Malaya/Singapore?

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
05-Aug-2014, 10:00 AM
Thank you for your comments. I will need to change my website....again!

I wonder if the recorded specimen from Than To (Yala) is still ssp. boswelliana, I suspect so? If so, then all of a sudden we have 3 ssp. in Thailand. I will post my set upperside of the male elsewhere for you.