PDA

View Full Version : My record shots of Manto hypoleuca terana

horace2264
08-Jan-2009, 09:55 PM
At this forest fringe I was pleasantly surprised by a rather large orange butt which flew swiftly past me. Luckily it stopped not too far away on the leaf underside for me to take a good look. Due to the location, I was hoping for Golden Royal but it turned out to be the Green Imperial. :gbounce:

Commander
08-Jan-2009, 10:19 PM
Congrats on your +1, Horace! :cheers:

That's a rather pristine specimen too. :)

Glorious Begum
08-Jan-2009, 10:24 PM
Interesting butt, I have not seen it yet over here. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

benetay
08-Jan-2009, 11:04 PM
Very good Horace! Congrats on the +1, agree with Khew, looks very pristine!

Either golden royal or green imperial are great sightings.

:thumbsup:

Any sighting of it laying eggs or anything?

Cheers!

horace2264
08-Jan-2009, 11:22 PM
Congrats on your +1, Horace! :cheers:

That's a rather pristine specimen too. :)
Thanks, Khew. I was initially puzzled by the darker shade of orange on the forewing. :)

Interesting butt, I have not seen it yet over here. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:
Thanks, LC. :) I am sure you have better chance of sighting such rarer butts over your end than us here.

Very good Horace! Congrats on the +1, agree with Khew, looks very pristine!

Either golden royal or green imperial are great sightings.

:thumbsup:

Any sighting of it laying eggs or anything?

Cheers!
Thanks, Benedict. I am very happy with the +1 too. No luck to see it laying egg. Hopefully next time. :)

atronox
09-Jan-2009, 01:50 AM
That's a very pristine male.:what:
One of my favourite butts that i hope to see in the wild.I'm sure u will encounter a female laying eggs somewhere.:grin2:

Painted Jezebel
09-Jan-2009, 09:33 AM
Great find, Horace.:gbounce: I don't think this species reaches as for North as me.:cry: Sightings from Thailand are in the deep South, near the Malaysia border.

Glorious Begum
09-Jan-2009, 01:56 PM
Question, why we call it Green Imperial ? Is the upperside Green ? :confused:

horace2264
09-Jan-2009, 11:46 PM
That's a very pristine male.:what:
One of my favourite butts that i hope to see in the wild.I'm sure u will encounter a female laying eggs somewhere.:grin2:
I am sure you will get to see it in the wild sometimes in the future. :)Seeing a female Green Imperial will be an extremely rare event.

wow, hope to shoot one too !
It is just a matter of time and luck this happens. :)

Great find, Horace.:gbounce: I don't think this species reaches as for North as me.:cry: Sightings from Thailand are in the deep South, near the Malaysia border.
Thanks, Les. :) Let's hope you get to see this species during you next trip to Singapore or Malaysia.

Question, why we call it Green Imperial ? Is the upperside Green ? :confused:
Yup, the male is shining blue-green on the upperside. See Pisuth's book, page 694-695, for a description of the characteristics and plates of this species. In C&P4, the upperside and underside pictures are located in plate 48, pic 11,12,13.

Cruiser
10-Jan-2009, 12:10 AM
Congrats Horace, you must be excited when it landed just in front of you :cheers:

horace2264
10-Jan-2009, 12:27 AM
Congrats Horace, you must be excited when it landed just in front of you :cheers:
Thanks, Ben Jin. :)
Yes, it was really an exciting moment given the recent dry spell of butts encounters, and the difficulty of getting another +1.