PDA

View Full Version : Four Butts in CCA (270409)

horace2264
27-Apr-2009, 10:05 PM
Went to CCA during lunch hours, and was surprised by a fair bit of butt activity. All the butts were rather skittish, and all I managed were far-away shots, mostly with the butts in the shade.

Pic 1: Lesser Harlequin (still trying to locate its host plant)
Pic 2: Burmese Lascar (taken in the vicinity of its host plant)
Pic 3: Arhopala trogon (female, still trying to locate its host plant)
Pic 4: Yellow Banded Awl

Silverstreak
27-Apr-2009, 11:09 PM
Horace ,

Beautify shot of the Lesser Harlequin!

Wish you luck on finding the hostplanst of Lesser Harlequin and the A. trogon. I was following a female A.trogon 3 weeks back but no luck it went into the thick bush...

Cheers!

Commander
27-Apr-2009, 11:31 PM
The tails of the A. trogon look a bit too long for the typical stubby tail of the species. What made you conclude that this is a A. trogon? :thinking:

Silverstreak
28-Apr-2009, 12:00 AM
The tails of the A. trogon look a bit too long for the typical stubby tail of the species. What made you conclude that this is a A. trogon? :thinking:

It has a green top ..........

horace2264
28-Apr-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the reminder about the tails. :) They do seem a bit too long compared to my earlier sighting and those in the plate in Pisuth's text.

This Arhopala was shot in the land of A. trogon, and the underside markings plus the extent of the green scales match those in the plate. A few specimens, both male (with green upperside) and female, have been sighted in that area. Looks like I have to spend a bit more time at that site to see whether there is another Arhopala species waiting to be discovered.

horace2264
28-Apr-2009, 12:03 AM
It has a green top ..........
Not the one shown in post #1. The upperside was blue to purplish when I caught sight of it during the flight.

horace2264
28-Apr-2009, 12:08 AM
Horace ,

Beautify shot of the Lesser Harlequin!

Wish you luck on finding the hostplanst of Lesser Harlequin and the A. trogon. I was following a female A.trogon 3 weeks back but no luck it went into the thick bush...

Cheers!
Thanks, Sunny, :)
There were two rather tame male A. trogon at knee level last Friday, but I did not bring my camera with me during that outing. :mad2:

Silverstreak
28-Apr-2009, 12:17 AM
As far as I can made it out , the top appears to be bluish green, its underwing marking does not appear to be a Arhopala eumolphus maxwelli Green Oakblue either .;-)

horace2264
28-Apr-2009, 01:21 PM
Looks like it is going to pour soon, ruling out any lunch outing for today. :-(

On a related note, here is an interesting read (http://www.biogeography.unibas.ch/Mitarbeiter/Jan_Beck/JBeck_NLU/abstr_publ/Beck%20&%20Wagner_SepBull.pdf) on the territorial habit of male A. aurea. Too bad, the authors also mentioned that the larval host plants fo rboth A. aurea and A. trogon are still unknown.

Commander
28-Apr-2009, 03:41 PM
On a related note, here is an interesting read (http://www.biogeography.unibas.ch/Mitarbeiter/Jan_Beck/JBeck_NLU/abstr_publ/Beck%20&%20Wagner_SepBull.pdf) on the territorial habit of male A. aurea. Too bad, the authors also mentioned that the larval host plants fo rboth A. aurea and A. trogon are still unknown.

Not to worry. When you get to breed them, you will be the first to discover the host plant! :)